A really satisfying Good Friday supper traditionally enjoyed by fishermen and their families.
- Preheat the oven to 375F, Gas Mark 5, 190C.
- Put the fish in an ovenproof dish and pour over the milk
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes before flaking fish
- Strain the milk from the fish and reserve some for the sauce
- Put the flaked fish back into bowl
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add flour and mix well
- Let the mixture bubble gently for 2 minutes, stirring continuously
- Remove from heat and add milk stock, parsley and salt and pepper to taste
- Bring back to the boil, stirring continually until sauce thickens
- Pour over the fish
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes
- Drain potatoes and mash with a little milk or cream, butter and pepper
- Cover the fish with mashed potato and smooth over with a fork.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden
- Serve with fresh garden peas