This is the ancestor of all our chutneys. The word chutney originates from the Hindustani, ‘chatni’: this is not for the faint-hearted!
- Place all the ingredients except the sugar and lime juice in a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Leave to stand for al least three hours
- Transfer to a preserving pan and bring to the boil
- Simmer until tender, stirring all the time
- Add the sugar and lime juice then continue to simmer until the whole mass thickens
- Bottle hot and close securely; the longer it matures the better