These little cakes were originally baked on a bakestone. Delicious served warm with butter.
- Rub the lard and butter into the flour
- Add the sugar, currants, mixed spice and baking powder, then the milk and egg
- Mix and form into a firm paste
- Roll out on a floured board to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut into rounds
- Cook on a greased griddle or a heavy based frying pan for about 3 minutes on each side or until a golden brown
- Cool and sprinkle with sugar if desired
- Serve alone or with butter