Hookery Cookery Home > Welsh Recipes >
Lobscows (Welsh Lobscouse)
This hearty broth that was a popular dinner in it's own right on the farms of North Wales before the advent of deep-freezers and microwaves.
the quantity of meat and vegetables is set by the amount of the family.
a piece of salt beef
salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the meat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the carrots, swede and onions before adding to the meat.
- Simmer gently until the meat is almost tender.
- Add the potatoes and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- The amount of vegetables included will determine the thickness of the lobscouse.
Recipes compiled by Alwyn Jones © 2000 & web pages designed by R. Barry Jones © 2000