Cawl originates from pre-mediaeval times when the main cooking utensil was a large cauldron. This hearty broth is really more of a stew and is a satisfying meal on it’s own or served with the traditional warm crusty bread.
- Separate as much fat as possible from the cutlets.
- Boil the meat gently in water for one and a quarter hours.
- Skim off fat.
- Peel and cut up vegetables and add to the lamb.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Serve accompanied with fresh, crusty bread