Probably the most well-known of all Welsh snacks although if you were to look it up in Fowler’s English usage you would see that it claims that the dish is not of Welsh origin, there is no rabbit in it and the toast is not rare. Full marks to Fowler’s for splitting hairs, or is it hares?
- After toasting the bread, heat the grated cheese gently in a saucepan until it melts
- Stir in the other ingredients
- A little beer can be added to the sauce if desired
- Pour the cheese sauce over the toast and place under a grill until a golden brown
- Garnish with tomato wedges and parsley